Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Glutton for...

Thursday August 19th marked a very EXCITING day! After an entire summer of seeking out a teaching job, I got an interview that resulted in the magic words "we'd like to extend a job offer to you." Well, if you know me, you know that I was a giddy girl who jumped up and down for a while after the job offer.

Well, that excitement quickly led to some major tear-shedding on Friday August 20th. You see, the job I interviewed for (or thought I was) was going to be teaching self-contained Special Education in the morning at the Jr. High and co-taught in the afternoon at the High School. Well, Friday morning, there I was at Teacher Institute meeting a LOT of new faces, getting keys, seeing my rooms for the first time, getting rosters, materials, making lists, and unpacking my already jam-packed car because I had been storing these items all summer. Little did I know that I was about to take on more than I realized. I found out at the high school that I wouldn't be co-teaching, rather I'd have a second classroom in which I'd be the teacher of Algebra 1b (Soph-Senior) and Algebra 1A (Freshman) as well as Biology and a class called Link. Wow- after the 40 min drive to get a TB shot read (which by the way had a reaction- an ALLERGIC one). I got home and had a major meltdown. Luckily, (or unfortunately) I had planned to have a garage sale Saturday and babysit 7 hours after that so I didn't have much time to fret on Sat. But Sunday, I just couldn't decide what to do. You see, Danville High School called me on Friday (while driving home) to see if I was interested in teaching there. What would I do there you may ask- teach one class (in one classroom) all day. Wow! SO MUCH LESS PLANNING and SO MUCH MORE PAY!

I decided that I'd already committed to one job and that it was too much to ask myself to do it all perfectly at the beginning. So, I've been setting up my classrooms and teaching simultaneously and so far, things are going okay. My co-workers are supportive and my students are much nicer than last year. So, I'm praying that this turns out to be the God-send I thought it was when I was jumping up and down Thursday Aug. 19th. However, I do have a few prayer requests... namely, that I get the appropriate technology needed to teach a classroom. Secondly, that I find a way to budget my time so I am not working the 14 hour days (or more) that I've put in thus far. Third, that I get a easy to use system to run my Reading-Language Arts class in a room full of students with various needs. With love, Care

No comments:

Post a Comment