Tuesday, April 22, 2014

First Doctor Visit

So Presence Medical Center does not do circumcisions in the hospital. This is left up to the pediatrician to do at the first visit.  So, I got myself very psyched up for this visit.  We've been very blessed in that Caleb absolutely loves car rides. He tends to fuss a bit while getting put in the car seat but once it is in motion, he settles instantly.  Our first doctor's visit went smoothly.  He slept on the way there (it's about a 3 min drive).  He slept in the waiting room too.  But after the nurse told us to strip him down to nothing to get his weight, he was screaming.  We learned he lost nearly a pound at this visit.  He weighed 7 pounds 8 ounces at birth but was 6 pounds 11 ounces at his appointment [nearly one week later].  We asked our many questions of the doctor.  He answered them all to my satisfaction but informed us that the hospital had not set up the circumcision so we had to come back on Thursday.  This was very hard on me because I had already prepared myself and now would have to come in the morning to get this done.  I left with a general sense of judgement from Dr. S and I had to ask Chris if he had the same vibe as me.  Of course, Chris didn't pick up on anything but I felt like he thought I wasn't breastfeeding properly.  I tried to explain we had a rough transition home but things were improving; I felt we had a good "grip" on feeding by that point!





No comments:

Post a Comment